Monday 16 January 2017

Vera Lane Studio: Woodland Props

Hello!

I hope you had a lovely weekend.
(Don't Mondays come around quickly?)

I am delighted to say that I was a runner up in the World Wide Open Design Team Challenge  with my last Vera Lane Studio project which you can see here.

 

Today I have some cards that I created for Vera Lane Studio to show some of the digital stamps in the newly released Woodland Props set.

I tried something I've not done for a while ... watercolour. 
Oh. My. Goodness.  That brought back memories (and not good ones!).
I went on a watercolour course and it terrified me. We were expected to paint landscapes that consisted mainly of snowy scenes and marshes. I was horrified at how uncontrollable watercolours are. 

Anyhow ... I digress.

I decided to make watercolour backgrounds for my cards - trying to create a dip dye look and an ombre look. 

The cards are, I think, quite clean and simple - and this is a style that does not come easily to me.

Here is the first:



The watercolour paper was taped to my work surface which helped in two ways - it kept the paper in place and it provided a neat border. I wet the paper before applying the paints and this created the ombre look. I used Cadmium Yellow and Cadmium Orange,  adding extra pigment towards the top and bottom. The gorgeous flower image from Woodland Props was flipped and added to a second flower image. They were coloured with alcohol pens, then fussy cut leaving a white border. I popped them on foam pads for dimension. The sentiment is from Sentiments Set 1. I matted on kraft card before adhering to the card base.



My second card is neither ombre nor dip dye - but I replicated the colours used for the birds. The birds are supposed to be blue tits (one of my favourite birds because they are so tiny and beautifully coloured). This time I added the colours separately and dried the paper with my heat tool inbetween colours. I used Sap Green, Cobalt Blue and Cadmium Yellow. I tried to soften the edges by applying more water. The images are all from Woodland Props,  the birds have been resized and flipped - something we can't do with rubber stamps! They were coloured with alcohol pens, fussy cut and popped on foam pads. The sentiment is from  Sentiments Set 1.

And finally, of course, I had to use The Foxes on the Woodland Props - they were made for each other!


 Here I made a dip dye look with the watercolours, again drying each colour before adding the next. I started at the top with the lightest and gradually went darker. This time I trimmed my watercolour paper and inked the edges lightly with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo. I adore these foxes - aren't they cute? I feel that they are standing in mid-air, but adding more to the base would have taken away from the CAS nature I was trying to create. 
Here are the digital sets I used:

 Woodland Props                  The Foxes                     Sentiments Set 1
             


I hope you will come along and play on Vera Lane. It's such a friendly, fun place to be!
We have an ATC swap taking place at the moment.
You'll find us on Facebook in a closed group, which I invite you all to join! You can find us HERE. I guarantee, you'll get a very warm welcome!
Thanks for taking time to stop by today.
I would love it if you became a 'follower'!
xoxo

I'd like to play along in the following challenges:

CARD 1 Flowers:
TTCRD AG 18/01
Creative Corner Challenges AG 18/01
Crafting With Friends #34 AG 19/01
Creative Fingers Challenge #122 AG 19/01
Crafting When We Can #135 AG 20/01
My Time To Craft #337 Something New (digi stamps) 26/01

CARD 2: Birdies:
Brown Sugar Challenge #233 AG 18/01
Allsorts Challenge #398 Wings on Things 20/01
Inkspirational Challenges #126 Flutter 27/01
Crafty Calendar Challenge Something New (digi stamps)  28/01
A Bit More Time To Craft #36 AG 28/01
Dragonfly Dreams Challenges With Thanks 30/01

CARD 3 The Foxes:
Corrosive Challenges #1 AG 06/02
Challenge Up Your Life #57 Selfmade Backgrounds 18/01 TOP 3

Colour Crazy Challenge #2 AG 27/01
Imagine That AG 03/02
Patties Creations #130 Use an Animal Image  02/02
World Wide Open Design Team Challenge #18 11/02



I'd really love some feedback :)      
I read and appreciate all your comments. 

To leave a comment, please click on the G+1 button below.
(If this does not open up the comments, please click either the link to this particular post in the sidebar, or click on the red heading at the top of the post and, hopefully, the comments will open).

Thanks x
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I love to read each one and appreciate you taking time to visit my blog!

Please remember, as this is a public blog, if you leave a comment on any post, you do so in the knowledge that your name and blog link are visible to all who visit here.